Friday, November 18, 2011

Welcome

As a grad student in the history of science concerned about the utter lack of new media in the field, I have decided to dedicate this blog to topic in the History of Science, Medicine, Technology, Mathematics and the Environment. I may also talk about other historical topics. I plan on posting book reviews, comments on some past events, updates on my research and whatever else strikes my fancy. For my first post, I would like to draw attention to some wonderful research tools for those interested in this topic.
Common-place http://www.common-place.org/
This though not really to do with history of science per say is one of the best examples of how historians can use new media. This online journal is amazing. The articles are clearly written and accessible for the layman but also very scholarly and an excellent resource for the academic. Though clearly a niche journal for those interested in the nineteenth century America, it is a great tool for all academic leaning people or those who just like to read some good history with wonderful images.
National Library of Medicine Online Syllabus Archive http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/collections/digital/syllabi/
This is amazing. It is really just for those who need some history of medicine but one of the best resources that I have ever encountered. You can find about a hundred or more syllabi from classes taught on the history of medicine which you can sort by professor, institution, or class title. Most importantly-for us doing our own research-you can sort by subject. This means I can find a list of readings, both books and articles, relating to everything from French medicine to the history of addiction to the history of human experimentation.
Now, I know these are only two, but since I have 2 research papers, grant applications and a few short historiographies all due in the next two weeks, I best be off for the time being. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment